VITA is an award-winning tablet-based activity program for volunteer groups visiting nursing homes. It was developed at the NUS HCI Lab to assist volunteers who are visiting older adults in nursing homes who have cognitive impairments. It provides pre-packaged, customised activities for volunteers, and is the result of extensive, ethnographic field research.
Currently VITA is available for trial implementations at dementia care centres. Do contact me if you would like to request an account.
- Foong, P. S., Zhao, S., Felicia, T., Williams, JJ.(2018). Harvesting Caregiving Intelligence: Design Considerations for Volunteer Input in Dementia Care. In Proceedings of the 36th Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1583–1592). New York, NY, USA: ACM. [download PDF]
- Parekh, V., Foong, P. S., Zhao, S., Subramaniam, R.(2018). AVEID: Automatic Video System for Measuring Engagement in Dementia. In Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) New York, NY, USA: ACM. [pending]
- Chetiyar, P.V., Foong, P. S., (2017). I-TAP (Interactive Tablet Programme). In International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare: Asia Pacific
- Foong, P. S., Zhao, S., Carlson, K., Liu, Z.(2017). VITA: Towards Supporting Volunteer Interactions with Long-Term Care Residents with Dementia. In Proceedings of the 35th Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1583–1592). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2702123.2702588
- Foong, P. S., & Zhao, S. (2016). Design Considerations for Volunteer Support in Dementia Care. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Interactive Technology and Ageing Populations (pp. 54–63). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2996267.2996273
- Community Silver Trust from the Agency for Integrated Care/Ministry of Health, via Villa Francis Home for the Aged. 250K
- National University of Singapore Academic Research Fund Tier 1 Grant Number 251RES1617 60K